Markbank

Nov 4, 2018
Hello! Welcome to applepie! This is a tool designed for fuzzing, introspection, and finding bugs! This is a hypervisor using the Windows Hypervisor Platform API present in recent versions of Windows (specifically this was developed and tested on Windows 10 17763). Bochs is used for providing deep introspection and device emulation.
The Windows Hypervisor Platform API (WHVP) is an API set for accessing Hyper-V's hypervisor abilities. This API makes it easy for us to implement a virtual machine all in user-space without any special drivers or permissions needed.
What is this for?
This is a tool designed for fuzzing and introspection during security research. By using a hypervisor common fuzzing techniques can be applied to any target, kernel or userland. This environment allows fuzzing of whole systems without a need for source of the target. At the hypervisor level code coverage can be gathered, and if needed Bochs emulation can be used to provide arbitrary introspection in an emulation environment. This coverage information can be used to figure out the effectiveness of the fuzz cases. A fuzz case that caused an increase in coverage can be saved as it was an interesting case. This input can be used later, built on by new corruptions.
Snapshot fuzzing is the primary use of this tool. Where you take a snapshot of a system in a certain state, and save it off. This snapshot can then be loaded up for fuzzing, where a fuzz case is injected, and it's resumed. Since the VM can be reset very cheaply, the VM can be reset often. If it takes Word 5 seconds to boot, but you can snapshot it right as it reads your file, you can cut the fuzz case down to only what is relevant to an input. This allows for a very tight loop of fuzzing without needing to have access to source. Since the VM's are entirely separate systems, many can be run in parallel to allow scaling to all cores.
Currently this tool only supports gathering code coverage, dynamic symbol downloading for Windows, and symbol/module parsing for Windows targets as well. Adding fuzzing support will be quite soon.
Development cycle
Given I've written almost all the features here before (coverage, fuzzing, fast resets, etc). I expect this project should pretty quickly become ready for fuzzing, unless I get distracted

I'm aiming for end-of-January for coverage (done!), feedback, module listings (done!), process lists, fast resets, and symbol support (done!). Which would make it a very capable fuzzer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors